Immunocompromised individuals can now receive an additional dose of the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. This additional dose is intended to improve their response to the initial vaccine series, since these individuals may not build the same level of immunity as those who are not immunocompromised.
“Immunocompromised individuals” includes people with medical conditions or people receiving treatments that are associated with moderate to severe immune compromise such as:
- Active or recent treatment for solid tumor and hematologic malignancies
- Receipt of solid-organ or recent hematopoietic stem cell transplants
- Severe primary immunodeficiency
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids, alkylating agents, antimetabolites, tumor necrosis (TNF) blockers, and other biologic agents that are immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory
- Chronic medical conditions such as asplenia and chronic renal disease may be associated with varying degrees of immune deficit
If you are eligible for this additional dose, CCCHC will notify you by phone or letter.